Skip to main content

Love Month (2.26)


I really really love....Books!


Really if you know me at all, you probably already knew that. Of all the inanimate objects in the world, I love books the most. Maybe even over some dogs, or people too.

There was a time in my life I remember that reading and books weren't something I was interested in. Kindergarten, I had to be forced to try reading. First grade, I feel like I was pretty indifferent. But after that, it clicked. Aside from my mom making us love books, my second grade teacher, Mrs. Scalise, was prettty good influence too. She would read to us, and make it exciting and fun. She would even let me borrow her books. (I might even still have one on my bookshelf)

I became obsessed. I don't know how many nights I've stayed away with my lamp on until I've finished a book, or even how much water I wasted sitting in the bathtub until I got to the last page. I think my second grade teacher regretted it later, I had her in fifth grade too, and she couldn't ever get me to pay attention or do any work because I always had a book hidden under my desk.

So this is what I love:

- Children's Books - especially, specifically Newberry Award Winners (almost all of them actually)

- Young Adult Fiction - they are such a quick, fun read. Books like Flush, Holes, Scat, Hoot...etc. I have a ton of them.

- Classics - Anything by Alexander Dumas is my favorite, but I love Frankenstein, Edgar Allen Poe, The Scarlet Pimpernel...on and on.

- Fiction - I'm pretty picky about adult fiction, I'm not a big love story kind of person, basically I hate smut, so it's hard to find one that's safe. A big favorite right now is The Hunger Games, I highly recommned it.

- Non-Fiction - for some reason I've been really into autobiographies lately (some good ones are Julia Child's My Life in Paris, Terri Erwin's book she wrote about Steve - The Crocodile Hunter, and I think I read one about Mother Theresa I really liked.

I could confess that I sometimes sneak books to work, if I really really feel like I need to finish it, or read in the car while I'm driving if I'm at a super great part in the story, but I won't, instead all I have to say is....I love to read and I love books!

Comments

St. Julien's said…
I can just hear you sweet little voice saying these things. I hope you keep blogging in march...you could do like green month or something and blog about green stuff...just sayin.

Popular posts from this blog

Covenants / Covenant Keeping August 12-19, 2018 This week I decided to study about covenants and being a covenant keeping person. My goal while I’m at law school is to balance my secular education with a spiritual education. Personal study, other than while I was serving on my mission, has never been consistent. I love to learn and read about the gospel but I’m not always as dedicated to it as I should be. I guess you could say I was hoping I could make a small kind of covenant with the Lord that if I would dedicate sometime each day to study His words and teachings that He’ll somehow help me to make it through what’s ahead at law school. I’ll let you know how it goes. Covenants have been on my mind off and on for the last year. Sister Wendy Nelson, President Nelson’s (the Prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) wife, came and spoke to a large group of women in our area last year and the main focus of her message was about being “covenant keeping women.”...

30 for 30 - #30: Do something to my hair I've always wanted to do but never dared.

Thank you Jaquelin Stallings for suggesting this as my #30.  It is affordable, and it just so happens that for the last 8 years I talked about changing my hair every winter, but never did it.  I am not prejudice of people with brown hair, but when the weather changes, and things get cold and grey I always feel like coloring my hair brown because it makes me sad. I really like my blonde hair, and even more since my sister-in-law started taking care of it for me.  She is the best.  And luckily! She said she can fix it by my birthday so I was less afraid to take this one on.  I did it!! Before Blonde me.  After Brown hair me (with a strange look on my face) It turned out a little "warmer" than I anticipated, but it might fade out a little.  Guess we'll find out.  What do you think? Brown or blonde?

Summer Project #1 - The Hydrant Sprinkler

So, I recently took after my sisters and made a lengthy list.  Mine is of house projects I would like to do, or save up for (is more realistic).  My first project was to move my birthday present from Jeremy, a Pacific State fire hydrant, from my patio so we wouldn't be the junk yard neighbors. Birthday Present 2010 Pre Make Over Although it was a good looking hydrant before I started working on it, our patio is only 10' and it was a little out of place, and in the way. A little TLC is understatement.  I took the entire hydrant apart (hydrant anatomy lesson post forthcoming), drilled new holes in different pieces, greased it up, repainted it, designed and implemented a new plumbing system and........ VOILA!!! I had a brand new sprinkler for our flower bed/veggie garden.  Note:  there are three sprinklers built into the hydrant, which I might have connected to our landscape sprinkler system without permission from the HOA.  Also n...